Being done with classes for the week, I had an afternoon of errands planned. Knowing it is never wise to grocery shop while hungry, but having very little food at home, my first stop was Chick-Fil-A for some lunch. A grand opportunity to burn a few more dollars off my gift card! As I stood at the counter paying I heard someone call my name. I turned around to see my classmate Dick Baxter who pointed out where he was sitting. So he and I had lunch together. It was such a pleasant surprise to share a meal with a friend rather than dining alone. I haven't seen Dick much this semester making it all the more enjoyable to catch up over our nuggets and waffle fries. Conversation flowing along, we discovered we have very common roots. Dick spent part of his childhood in Mercer PA, very close to my home of Edinboro PA, and another part of his childhood in Buffalo NY. This allowed us to share fond memories of the snowy, snowy winters. Dick is a second career seminarian with adorable grandchildren and told me today that in Buffalo he lived very close to the school so he had to walk. I laughed and said, so you really can tell your grandchildren you used to walk to school uphill in the snow! We marveled together at the magic lake effect snow line that forms a certain distance from the lake; and how it depends on which way the wind is blowing who takes the brunt of the snowstorm. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you don't know winter. I am one of the few who truly misses it. Especially around Christmas time!
We parted ways in the parking lot and I walked to my car with a smile on my face having been graced by a chance encounter. Made my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment