My first sermon for this semester's preaching class is tomorrow. The initial thought of giving a mere 5-minute sermon was not exciting. Preaching for Anna Carter Florence, one of the profs, is intimidating. I got my assigned text in an email over a week ago. Pentecost. Acts 2:1-22. What in the world am I going to do with that in a mere 5-minutes?! Panic never quite set in, but it was close...I could smell it.
Then early last week an idea landed in my imagination. Tell the story. Just tell the story. Tell the story for today and use my favorite hobby to do it. Photography. And then another day, at 12:30 am, came the words. I'm not a fan of my sermons coming to me while I'm trying to sleep, but it seems to happen a lot. And then I was excited. I flipped through my photographs. I selected some I have and made a list of those to take. And then I was even more excited. I really never considered preaching to be fun. But the opportunity to be creative, to stretch the boundaries of what preaching is, to use multiple gifts from God all at once...pretty stinking fun!
I'm sorry to say that none of the pictures I used are on cd and I don't have a scanner. It may be the digital age, but I'm a film girl. Sooooo, you'll just have to come to Decatur to see the finished product. I'm working on it now, just back from the photo store. I'm working on my sermon and I'm having fun! Who knew?!?
No comments:
Post a Comment