Tragedy struck close to home on Thursday evening. I was in my room watching TV and kept hearing sirens. They were constant for almost an hour and seemed to be close to the seminary campus. I stayed up to catch the news and the first blurb came as a shock. "Breaking news," they said, "The United Methodist Children's Home in Decatur is on fire." Cut to an aerial shot of the burning building which looked like a ball of flames. The UMCH is across the street from Columbia. (Read the story here.)
On with some shoes and a sweatshirt, I grabbed my phone and headed outside. In the stairwell I got a hold of a friend who lives in the other dorm. I told her of the news and then I stepped outside and I could see it. From the end of Florida Hall by the Richards center, I could see it. Oh my Lord. I walked with friends to the end of the seminary driveway and watched in awe and disbelief as flames shot into the night sky and smoke billowed. We stood there feeling like we should be doing more. Those standing around me shared accounts of how we heard and other events of the evening. The fire was set by one of the boys who lives at the home who was angry. He was chased by housemates after starting the fire onto Columbia's campus where some of my friends had seen him apprehended. We marveled at the destruction we were witnessing and more so, at the desperation of this young man. Saddened by the fire, I am also saddened to think about what lies ahead for him. A young life already subverted and damaged is headed for our judicial system.
Last Monday I went on a field trip to the Dekalb County Correctional facility for my preaching class. Our next text in Acts is when Peter is rescued from jail by an angel of God. And so we toured the prison. We toured this young man's future. He is 17, likely to face adult charges and consequences. What must have taken him to this level of despair. I do not condone his action, but I do wonder where God is for him. Does he know God?
The cottage that I watched burn is a total loss. Firefighters kept the flames from spreading to adjacent buildings, but could do nothing to save the one. No one was hurt. No one except this boy who faces the consequences of his actions. The fire is still under investigation they say and so I hope the best for his future. I hope he and the other children who are just across the street know that God is with them.
I've never witnessed a fire in person. It is a helpless feeling to watch flames consume and smoke billow. So we prayed. A few friends and I said a prayer. It's all we can do and all we have. Say a prayer.
No comments:
Post a Comment