Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"You Look Like a Preacher"

I've spent my afternoon here at Starbucks in Decatur working on my sermon for Monday's preaching class. I've found it's good to break away from my normal digs when working on sermons, especially when trying to get them started. And though I'm not a coffee drinker, Starbucks provides a cozy working environment for me.

A little while ago, a man sat down next to me with his coffee and the newspaper.
Pointing to the Bible laying on the arm of my chair he struck up a conversation...
"Boy that print is small!"
I smiled at him.
"Can you really read that from there?"
"Yes. With my glasses on I can." I smiled again.
A few minutes pass...
"Is that the Bible?"
"Yes it is."
"You in seminary?"
"I am"
"What year?"
"I'm a senior."
"Really? You look like a preacher!"
I laughed.
"I've never seen a red-headed woman preacher, but you look like one."

Really? I thought as I chuckled at his comment. I look like a preacher? We went on to talk about my future and the churches we attend in Decatur. Turns out he is the attorney for the ACPE, the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, located here in Decatur. I told him I did my first unit of CPE this summer up at Ohio State and loved it. We had a nice chat and he eventually went on his way.

Wanting very much a clearcut sign from God about what I should be doing after graduation, I wondered after he left...attorney for the ACPE...is that a sign?

I don't know that it was anything more than God showing creativity and commonality in the people we meet, even in the most unlikely and unexpected of places. But as I sit here trying to craft a sermon for class, it sure was nice to be told I look like a preacher. Whatever that means!

No comments: