Sunday, November 11, 2007

Memories Tend to my Soul

This past week brought a lot of subtle yet vivid memories and some tending of my soul.
  • The changing of our clocks and darkness arriving earlier brings memories of the days at home when it starts to get dark at 2 or 3pm because it is snowing. The change in time and in light does not bring me down like many others I know, but lifts my spirits to the coming holidays and time with family & friends.
  • A long conversation with a great friend brought memories of us conversing in that same space as my birthday became her birthday two years ago.
  • A friend's baby playing with Fred brought memories of my nephews and niece doing likewise and smiles to my face.
  • Eating soup at an after church luncheon brought memories of the many churches where I've done just the same in this country and abroad.
  • A chance to set aside the books to take on a creative project fed the other side of my brain. And gave me ideas for Christmas!
  • Watching a heart-wrenching video about the war and genocide in Rwanda brought memories of living and breathing Africa, the faces of my Kenyan friends, the story of a Rwandan survivor I met in Charleston, and a book I read & stories I heard first hand about the US occupation of Haiti at the same time in history. It brought painful recognition of how we, the Americans, have such privilege and too easily turn our backs. It fed a growing desire to return to Haiti and to Africa. It left me not knowing how to go on with the day. Leading to...
  • A scrumptious lunch and margarita with a great friend, where we processed the sadness of our week and moved to laughter.
  • After that lunch, going to a mid-afternoon movie, The Bee Movie (very funny!), brought memories of a time I was sick and my Mom took me to a movie. I don't remember when it was or what movie we saw, but I remember that it was the middle of the day, we had a rental car, we took a drive, and ended up at the theater. I sat in the theater with my Mom already feeling better, already feeling I could move on.
  • A reminder that God's grace is sufficient as I sat in chapel on Thursday. I woke up not feeling very well. The text for the service was the story of the hemorrhaging woman. I smiled thinking about how in my first year I was "randomly" assigned this text to preach in class. A providential moment in my life and a time I was given the chance and the conviction to own the personal nature of that story, standing in the pulpit saying, "I am the hemorrhaging woman."
  • Hearing David LaMotte in concert once again brought memories of the many other times I have heard him play and the many, many people who have sat beside me at such times. In a spirit of joy and sorrow, David announced he will only be on tour for one more year (as of Thanksgiving). He is going to Australia to pursue a Masters Degree in International Relations and Peacemaking. A thought that brings peace to my soul.
  • Carrying on with domestic chores and the homework of the day with football on TV in the background brings memories of doing just the same through the growing up years of my life. The sounds of football on TV somehow bring the comfort of home, making me feel that all is right with the world.

I know there were others, but these are what I remember in this moment. If you pay attention, the memories that feed the soul come along more often than you might imagine. Most often when least expected and most needed.

No comments: