Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to minimize the issues of poverty and/or impact of hurricane damage in the United States.
The 6:00pm news comes on and when they get around to weather there's an update on whatever current hurricane happens to be doing or expected to do in the near future. Usually goes something like this..."After Hurricane So-and-So, now a category 4, passes over the islands of Hispanola and Cuba, it will move into the gulf where it may strengthen before pounding the Gulf Coast states." Or..."Hurricane Ike slammed into the Communist country Cuba making landfall twice, causing devastating flooding, downed trees, and leaving hundreds stranded. Now Ike is expected to strengthen before causing major problems for the residents of Texas and Louisiana." Passes over?!? Do they really need to point out Cuba's form of government?!? Now these may not sound like horrible things to say. And I suppose we are all accustomed to hearing about murder in one breath and rescued children in the next on the evening news. But I am bothered. Really, sobered, about what I haven't been hearing this hurricane season. It becomes increasingly difficult for me to find out what has happened in Haiti as hurricane after hurricane has "passed over" that nation I love. Maybe it's because I've been there and I know people there that it bothers me so much or that I even notice. But I also think there is something wrong with an all too common American mindset that is not horrified daily at what is and isn't, reported on TV. I shall get off my soapbox now, but as I do, please read the real news from Haiti after Hurricanes Gustav, Hanna, and Ike have "passed over." The news comes from a Haitian, Papy, who is the organizer/director of cooperative projects aimed at real recovery from extreme poverty. The next time you see one of those storms, with it's projected path, and listen to speculations about the impact on the US...I beg you...notice where the storm is already sitting; notice the countries already feeling the wrath; try to imagine if that tiny island was your home, you made less than $2 per day, and lived under a corrupt government. Take notice and pray for all who suffer through these storms.
News from Haiti...
Papy said that things were really bad throughout the country. He reported widespread flooding, roads and bridges washed out, people beginning to die of starvation in some areas cut off by the damage to roads and bridges, complete destruction of many of the plantations and farms that grow the few exports the country has, and no resources within the country to even begin to address the huge problems left in the wake of the storms. He reported that Mirbalais, which is where the micro-finance project is, is one of the places cut off because the river flooded and washed out the bridges and roads between there and Port au Prince.
Please listen between the lines, give thanks for what you have, and pray.
No comments:
Post a Comment