Saturday, September 13, 2008

For Now

My bedroom is not always a quiet place when I'm trying to sleep. There's Lucy, who does not share the same sleeping pattern, and enjoys getting up early and playing in my room...with anything she can get her little paws on. There's also the college students, lots of whom live on our street and keep college student kind of hours, especially on the weekend. My blessed solution has been my iPod. I keep it close at hand to my bed and turn to it any time I need to drown out the noise.

During one recent such circumstance, I chose to listen to some of the songs from Avenue Q. A very crass broadway show with singing puppets and a good bit of truth set to cheerful, catchy tunes. A sort of Sesame Street for adults if you will. You have to be willing and able to get past language you don't like and other words, actions, sounds you find offensive. But if you can do so, Avenue Q is hilarious and eerily close to reality for young adults in these United States.

All this to say, Avenue Q gives me some much needed perspective. The last song of the show is called "For Now." The characters cheerily sing about how all that is in life today, is only for now. Things like health, your hair, employment, love, and George Bush are only for now. I find comfort in this sentiment. It is a simple, and funny, reminder that my unemployment, my lack of a call to the church, my financial struggling is only for now. As the song notes..."Life may be scary, but it's only temporary." Change is inevitable. Whatever you have, however you feel, wherever you are is only for now. And thank God for that.

No comments: