I watched a portion of the presidential debate the other night. Really, I watched as much as I could handle of he said this, but he said that, and then he said this again. Ugh. To me it's all a lot of back and forth, none of which helps me learn anything about the person who will next be elected commander in chief. Neither side looks like much of a choice in such a display. I've already decided anyway and am unlikely to change my mind barring some shocking revelation. What gets me the most as I think about our election process and the debate the other night is how much I can't stand the politics of it all (even though I am well aware politics permeates everything, even, especially, the church). I really can't stand it. The he said, he said, finger-pointing blame game we call a presidential race. And more so, the selfish, presumptuous, self-righteousness we call "national security." I was enraged to hear John McCain, in speaking about relations with Iran and Israel say, "We cannot allow another holocaust to happen." I'm sorry.....what?!?!? What do you call Rwanda? Sudan? Zimbabwe? South Africa? We've already stood by and continue to stand by while holocaust rages on in the world. I know, I know. Those places don't have anything we Americans want, so it doesn't count. Those millions of lives were just taking up space. We haven't allowed anything awful to happen. Those massacres don't threaten us and they don't affect how much we pay for gas. No harm done, right?
I could go on here for a long time and get myself all riled up again. I'd rather not. Instead I will give thanks for the democracy I live in which gives me the freedom to post this online. I will grit my teeth, breathe deep, and give thanks for the privilege I enjoy but do not deserve. And mostly, I will hope and pray for the day when someone in 'politics' has the gall to stand up and put humanitarian need & genuine solidarity before national security & what benefits us. I pray for everyone in America and around the world, to be blessed with the freedom to love a whole lot more, and fear a whole lot less. May God bless every people and every nation.
No comments:
Post a Comment