Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Midwest Extravaganza

My car hit 100,000 miles recently and this past weekend, I added about 1200 to that! It doesn't sound like much now, especially compared to cross-country drives, but it sure felt long! My weekend was spent tootling around the Midwest for grand celebrations, catching up with family, and meeting new faces.

8 hours to Chicago...where my cousin was getting married. We met at my aunt and uncle's house for a tasty dinner to begin the weekend's festivities.

2 hours to Wisconsin. I made a side trip to meet the pastor of that church I've been waiting on. It was a wonderful afternoon...one I hope will lead to a call.

2 hours back to Chicago...to catch the limo taking us downtown for the rehearsal dinner at Rock Bottom Brewery. Tasty beer, yummy food, and loads of laughter with family. On to the wedding day, which started with a brunch where my niece ordered Mickey Mouse pancakes, and mine were chocolate chip. Mmmmm! The wedding was wonderful and the reception quite fancy. A fabulous evening indeed. Tasty wine, more yummy food, and yes, more laughter.

5 hours to Detroit. I hopped back in the car to drive to Detroit for my great friend's ordination service. I arrived to the church with 20 minutes to spare. It was very good to be there for her, the lone representative of her Columbia days, and equally fun to meet her family...listening to stories as we gathered in their living room that evening.

5 hours home. Home. Worn and a bit sore from tons of car time, but smiling inside and out from my cup overflowing with blessings too many to count. I may not be where I wanted or expected to be as I turned 31...but I know with full faith and confidence, I'm right where I belong.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Just curious, but where is the church in Wisconsin?

Karen Fleming said...

I'm not really supposed to say. Hopefully I'll be able to tell you soon!

Elizabeth said...

Well, when we lived in Madison, we went to Christ Presbyterian.