Monday, July 07, 2008

Freedom

This 4th of July weekend brought much of the same from the rest of my summer. Relaxing, sleeping, reading, and general observing of Sabbath 24/7. As the weekend approached I found it amazing that my Mom and I had a very difficult time remembering what we did last year for the 4th. Was I even home? Did we see fireworks? Where? Being quite low on patriotism these days, this holiday ranks pretty low for me on the excitement scale and so I was perfectly content to opt for a mellow day followed by an evening movie (Wall-E, a MUST see for everyone!) and distant fireworks viewing.

The weekend did give me time to think about freedom. The topic came up not only on account of the holiday, but also in the book I was reading and in the sermon at church. When it comes to freedom I find myself eternally thankful, but quite far from anything resembling pride. I'm not proud to be an American. I'm thankful to be a child of God living in a free country. Pride is rather dangerous really. Pride is arrogant. Pride makes us think we've accomplished something on our own when the truth is we accomplish nothing apart from the grace and mercy of God. The pastor reminded us on Sunday that we didn't earn freedom on our own, it's a gift from God. So though I am very thankful for the freedom I live in, those who fought/fight for it to remain, and the privilege it brings me...I hesitate and cringe a bit when I see thankfulness being swallowed by pride.

What really strikes me about freedom is the responsibility that comes with it. A responsibility pride overlooks. As people who are free we have a responsibility to...
Stand up for those who are not free, not assuming they want to be just like us
Speak up for those who have no voice
Act regardless of our national interests
Feed the hungry
Care for the sick
Comfort the grieving
Clothe the naked
Protect the innocent
Love the people of every nation and those who have no nation

With great reward comes great responsibility. We've received the great reward of freedom. What will we do with our responsibility?

No comments: