Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Little Things

I find it to be very true that we don't miss what we've got until it's gone. And so often I find it is mostly the little things I take for granted that I end up missing most of all. Here are a couple of the little things I've been missing since I moved home...

Smoke-free
I miss smoke-free Decatur every time I walk through a cloud of nastiness here. I never really noticed no smoke in Decatur, but I certainly enjoyed it and breathed much easier.

Coke
I miss living in the home of Coca-Cola. I really got used to always being served Coke brand soda while living in Atlanta. Of course (most) everyone sells Coke there, that's where it was born! Now though...now, everytime I'm eating out somewhere or stopping off for a cool refreshing soda there's that chance...it might be Pepsi. GASP! I know. Heresy. I never realized how much of a Coke person I am until I am now living away from Coca-Cola-land. Pepsi didn't seem to be that awful an alternative. But I love Coke. I miss it dearly It's terrible. I go into a restaurant, get seated at a table, waitress/waiter asks kindly what I'd like to drink...Diet Coke please. Waitress says, "Is Pepsi ok?" NO! No, da** it! Pepsi is NOT ok. I want Coke! This is what I'm thinking in my head. Out loud though I sigh and deflatedly answer, ok.

The good news is there are always trade-offs. I miss some of the little things, but am happy to enjoy some things only found at home...John Wildwood's Pizza, Smith's hot dogs, and fewer sultry hot summer days...just to name a few.

Try not to take the little things for granted. You never know when they'll be gone!

No comments: