Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hard Earned Laughter

In a short 48 hours I will officially be a Master of all things Divine! Finally. In many ways, my years at seminary have gone by very quickly, but in other ways I thought these days would never arrive. I never thought I'd be the one who didn't have class this week 'cause senior grades are due earlier; never really saw myself picking up my cap & gown; haven't thought too much about moving out of my three-year home. I've taken way too many things for granted (as we always seem to do) - the value of living in Decatur GA, the opportunities that have come sailing my way, the relationships that have and still do have tremendous impact & importance in my life, living in a very Christian place. The end is here though. So I am savoring these things I've taken for granted. Taking the steps that once seemed light years away. And laughing a lot. Laughter that contains, consumes, & exudes all the joy and sorrow, pain and bliss, challenge and growth of three years in seminary.

My favorite part of these last days is the way all the seasons and chapters of my life are intertwining, mixing around, melting, molding, and becoming something new and glorious. A manifestation of the great cloud of witnesses. As my parents and I had dinner with my aunt & uncle (a retired United Methodist minister & missionary) and one of my dearest seminary friends, with another precious friend and her parents dining at the same restaurant, and the best waitress ever...I caught a glimpse of heaven...it looked like home and it rang loud with the sound of hard earned laughter.

Let the graduation festivities begin...

No comments: