Sunday, May 04, 2008

Firsts and Lasts

The beginning of the end of my seminary career is underway and I'm loving every minute. It started with my first official graduation gift. A beautiful bracelet awaited me at my work study desk with a precious note to keep on rowing. I've worn the bracelet every day since.

Thursday night, a celebration with the campus group Imago Dei who have been very important to my time here. I've served as co-moderator for two years and finally arrived at an event I had no hand in planning. An oddly refreshing change. We worshiped, and laughed, and told stories of just how far this group has come here at Columbia. We're the ones who support the gays you see, not always a popular bunch, and the changes in the past years are dumbfounding when we stop to take a step back.

Friday night, celebrating continued with a movie night at a professor's home. We ate yummy Greek food (once I was reminded where the restaurant was) and went back to her house for snickerdoodles and a chick flick. The end to a tradition well honored.

Yesterday brought a wedding shower for a wonderful seminary friend. Sarah. Sarah is becoming a 'hooker'...a Mrs. Christopher Hooker that is, and we gathered to shower her with love, share yummy treats, reminisce on the past three years, and look forward to the future. It was a splendid afternoon with friends new and old. And also the perfect break between working on my final assignments.

Speaking of those final assignments...done. This is the beginning of the last week of class. Big smile and a joyful sigh. Tomorrow my final project for Principalities, Powers, & Preaching will be on display. Tuesday I preach. Thursday I have my only final. And the celebrations will go on, and on, and on...

Cinco de Mayo...class party after preaching...wedding gown shopping with Ashley...Mother's Day...a wedding shower for Sara...family arriving...graduation... Let's not talk too much about what will come after all of this. Let's just enjoy ourselves, laugh until it hurts, drink some wine and margaritas (responsibly, of course, and probably not at the same time), likely shed some tears and most definately make memories.

Here's to always having a reason to celebrate!

No comments: