I've come across two news stories online over the past several days I find rather disturbing.
"Togetherville"
When reading about Pakistan banning Facebook, I came across another news link describing a newer site called "Togetherville." It is a Facebook-esque social networking site for 6-10 year old children. I'm appalled and dumbfounded. What in the world do 6-10 year-olds need social networking for?!? Shouldn't they be playing with dolls, and learning to ride bikes? Not to mention the super-frightening idea of little kids putting information and pictures of themselves out on the internet. Yikes! The article I read claims that membership in "Togetherville" supposedly "requires" parental involvement. How naive can they be?! Perhaps I am being a bit too pessimistic, but what is it about our current culture that implies 100% of parents are involved?!? I honestly can't even believe this exists.
Texas Textbooks
I also read this week a bit about Texas education boards re-writing history. I will be quick to admit the vast difference between what I learned in history books, and what I have learned later in life is the actual history. History books have always been written from someone's perspective, with someone's bias. Important facts get left out, glossed over, or exaggerated. The new changes approved in Texas, however, take the cake. Again, I am appalled and dumbfounded.
I am worried for our children and I hope God's hand will find a way into the life of each and every one.
No comments:
Post a Comment