I spent a good bit of Memorial Day weekend in my car, on the road, for a brief much welcome vacation.
First stop: Charlottesville VA
First stop: Charlottesville VA
Reason: Kendall & Teddy Pearson live there!
It was high time I had a weekend of fun with my favorite person and canine friends. I winded my way to their house on the rolling hills of VA (well first on the PA turnpike, but let's just say it leaves much to be desired). It was a gorgeous day for a drive, complete with the windows down and my hair blowing in the cool breeze. I became so joyful and thankful as the directions took me off the interstate, and that lovely PA turnpike, onto divided highways and two lane roads. These may be the less desirable to most travelers because it might take a bit longer, but last weekend I welcomed the change of scenery...green fields, trees blooming all around, the sweet fragrance of blooming honeysuckle, fresh cut grass, and the scent of a spring rain. Beautiful.
The best part was finding my way into the Pearson's driveway for a relaxing visit. We walked teddy, saw the sunset, drank wine, watched mindless crime drama marathons, napped, ate junk food, and drank more wine. Amidst all this we also laughed, and laughed, and had meaningful conversation about the state of our lives. This is one friend who pesters me endlessly about not being on facebook, but it is weekends like the one we just shared that mean so much more to me than any creation of technology ever could.
Second stop: Greensboro NC
Reason: Meredith got married!
As I traveled from Charlottesville to Greensboro on US 29, I thought it appropriate to be driving on the 29th Infantry Memorial Highway. I rode again with the windows down and wind in my hair enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of spring. This time though, I also road thinking about my friends who are or have been deployed halfway around the world...hoping and praying for them a deep peace.
My dear friend Meredith and her beau Chris were married on Sunday. It was a wonderful day for a wedding. I was honored to be sitting in her home sanctuary once again where her sister and another of my dear friends Adrienne was married a few years ago. I didn't know anyone at the wedding except for the family, but it made no difference at a time of celebration. We danced and laughed and ate and reminisced all in the joy of a new life together.
No comments:
Post a Comment