I heard sobering news yesterday of a pastor who was shot dead while leading his congregation in Sunday morning worship. I hold up prayers for the pastor's family, the witnessing congregation, and the perpetrator, that all may know peace, reconciliation, and the healing power of God's love.
Perhaps what struck me most about this story however, is not the horrifying nature of this one, single incident, but rather the haunting reminder it brings to every Christian...persecution, even persecution to the death, is a blatant part of our job description. It's all over the scriptures how Christians were, are, and can expect to be persecuted or even killed for their beliefs. I suspect many white American Christians, myself included, are clueless when it comes to being persecuted. We've not had to defend our faith in the face of violence or hatred. Our privilege has perhaps kept us distant from the notion of having to, or even choosing to, die for our faith. This news of a pastor killed during worship reminds me that every Christian faces the occupational hazard of death. While our human nature leads us to fear in light of such news, we need not fear. We need not fear because we know who has gone before us on this path, we know who is with us on this path, and we know what awaits on the other side of the scariest of words, death.
I hope that pastor arrived home yesterday to the words, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant.' And I hope I have the courage and faith to face any persecution that comes my way.
1 comment:
Cara Karen,
You may not remember this: I followed a pastor and his wife who were stabbed to death in their parsonage apartment in September, 1969. It was the beginning of a very creative and conflicting period of ministry --- The Armitage People's Church. Pastoral ministry is for risk-takers, as is all discipleship.
Peace,
Bill and Roberta
Post a Comment