Monday, October 27, 2008

Reasons to Rejoice

I've had some frustrating times lately when it comes to my search for a call in the Presbyterian church. Among other things, (cursing the church while I workout, taking out my frustration with a rake and some falling leaves, eating comfort food) this frustration has forced me to take a step back so I can remember who I am and whose I am. I've been reminded in God's gentle ways how blessed I truly am and that the only person who can make me believe I'm a failure is myself. I've found therefore lots of reasons to rejoice...
  • I have a job. In a highly unstable and sinking economy, I thank my lucky stars I have any employment at all to speak of. It seems that every day the news reports of more and more people losing their jobs. So although working at Target may not be my ideal line of work, it is a job, which gives me an income, which is something lots of Americans are pining for during hard times. And I am finding there can be a fine line between customer service and pastoral care.
  • I have an incredibly supportive family. My family, and by family I include lots of non-blood related friends, never ceases to amaze me with their undying support in love, time, cash, and laughter. Not everyone has such family to count on and I am rejoicing without ceasing that I do.
  • I'm a pastor and God knows where I'm going. Two friends have recently reminded me of these things with their wit and wisdom. One said, "Search committees move slower than glaciers" and so not having a call right now is little more than God working on God's time and not mine. The other signed my name to a visitor's book, 'Reverend Karen Fleming,' telling me that is the truth of who I am regardless of whether any denomination has made it official.
  • It's snowing!!! Yes it is snowing already in the 'Boro and I love it! I'm just like a little kid seeing snow for the first time...all giddy and smiley. I am a cold weather lover and have been rejoicing through the season of beautiful fall colors right into the coldness that entices flakes to tumble down.

That's just to name a few. Wherever you are and whatever comes your way today, find something to rejoice in because you belong to God. And so do I.

No comments: