Sunday, June 22, 2008

I Love Lucy!


Meet Lucy.

This past week, I made a trip to the local Humane Society and after much looking and deliberating, I adopted Lucy to come home with me.

I've been wanting an animal for a very long time. As a kid, Dad's allergies meant no pets. After college, my roommate had a cat so I was set. Then I moved. Before seminary, I couldn't afford it. Wasn't making enough dough. No pets allowed in seminary housing. And now, well now I probably shouldn't be spending what little money I have left as an unemployed pastor on a cat, but I am.

With the rest of my life hovering in uncertainty this was something I could make happen. This was a piece of my new life I could get right now, without waiting for the phone to ring, without knowing where I'll end up living. And so I did. And I couldn't be happier with the decision and most definately with Lucy.

I decided on a cat rather than a dog mostly because cat's are easier. Though I am the rare breed that loves both cats and dogs. Dad is still allergic, but has agreed to deal with it knowing Lucy and I will someday move out. I went in looking for a cat already spayed/neutered, already declawed (so as not to ruin my parent's furniture), short haired, and generally adorable. There were lots and lots of cats to choose from so it's good I had these criteria in mind to help me narrow down the choice. In the end, something clicked with Lucy and I knew she was to be my cat as long as we both shall live. (No rings were exchanged since she'd probably eat it.)

Lucy meowed all the way home not too sure of what was happening to her. But now she has settled into her new home with ease. She knows where to find food, where the litter box is and what she's supposed to do in there (and ONLY in there). She knows who will play with her and pet her. She loves to have her belly rubbed. She sleeps at the foot of my bed snuggled up against my legs. And she snores. Not very loud, but she definately snores. She's 1 year 6 months old and will meet her new doctor next Monday. Both cat and owner are quite content.

And the name. At the shelter, her name was Ms. Sassy Pants. Now while any cat can and will be sassy, this was not a name that fit. After much thought I decided to name her after my Great Aunt Lucy Smith. She was the biggest cat lover I've ever known and is likely where I got my love of animals. She also may be where my other cat, the blue one without arms, got his name as she had a cat named Fred.

Here's to the memory of my Aunt Lucy and the hope her namesake will live a long, healthy life!

1 comment:

Dancing with God said...

How cute!!!