Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Without a Pla

We had another informational meeting with the Board of Pensions regional rep this afternoon. My head was not spinning quite as much as last week, but I still departed wondering what in the world I have gotten myself into. Housing allowance. Effective salary. Dues. SECA. 403b. Flexible Medical Savings. Pension. Reimbursement allowance. Social Security. Copay. Median salary. Deductible. Optional Death Benefits. Oy!

This evening I watched a 'Friends' episode that sympathized well with my post-meeting haze. Rachel, who has given up on a potential wealth yielding marriage, has just received her first real paycheck from her first real employment as a coffee shop waitress. And Rachel wants to know, "Who is FICA and why is he taking all of my money?"

Later on that day, after an encounter with old friends from her previous high style life, Rachel is feeling pretty bad about herself and her situation. She commiserates with her real friends, Monica and Phoebe, about what will happen if things don't work out. She doesn't have a plan. The others chime in...

Monica: "Phoebe, do you have a plan?"
Phoebe: "A plan?! I don't even have a pla."

I too find myself without a pla. But I also find myself reminded that it doesn't matter. It isn't comfortable or particularly fun, but it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because God has more than a pla, God has a plan. God has a plan for my future that will be for good, not for harm. And with that assurance, for tonight I am content to be here among friends very much without a pla.

No comments: