Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Right to Vote...in Peace

As I've grown into my adult years I have become more and more appreciative of my right to vote and my privilege of doing so in peace. As I approached the age at which I could vote, I didn't hold much interest in politics and failed to see how my vote mattered. I still don't love politics, but I know my vote matters. It matters because it is a privilege not every person in every nation holds. I am angered by people in this country who hold the right to vote and choose not to use it. I am angered because in two countries dear to my heart, elections have led to extreme violence...some would even say civil war. So to let our right to vote in peace, without fear that war will break out the next day, without needing to stock up on canned goods in case it becomes too dangerous to go outside for food...to let that right pass us by or to blow it off as unimportant or uninteresting is a crime against humanity. It is a crime to not participate when those in these other countries are proud to claim their right to vote despite the fear, despite the risk of violence or even death.

My dear Haiti. My dear Kenya. In 2004, our campus ministry trip to Haiti was cancelled because of post-election violence. And now Kenya's future hangs in the balance. Post-election violence is ravaging the country in ways I am sure our media has not done justice to. And I'm scared. I'm scared for my friends and loved ones who so graciously embraced me as their own in the summer of 2006. And even beyond the familiar faces of those who I lived and worked with, there are the faces of the hundreds whom I didn't have the opportunity to know as well. My memory is full of these places and faces that now show up as war zones on the evening news. The Rift Valley for example. I recall worshipping in the streets there, playing with children who were fascinated by my hair & skin color, being welcomed into a home where we shared tea and I was given a parting gift even though we'd just met. It is hard for me to even express what goes on in my heart and soul as what little information I have comes across the air waves. I ache for news and I cling to the few words I receive.

My dearest friend Virginia reports from Kenya,
"Thanks alot for your concern. We really suffering, but I trust in the Lord.We cannot move around like before there is fear of being killed especially if you belong to our tribe. There is food shortage and things are now really expensive. Houses, churches,vehicles and human beings are reduced to ashes. Our sisters and Brothers in war torn areas cannot leave or escape because there is no vehicles on the road. we hope that we will have our Kenya back. Continue praying for us. We trust in the lord. Thank you and God bless you. Virginiah"

And so I deplore you to do two things:
  1. VOTE. Don't complain if the candidates are not up to your liking. Just vote. Vote because it is your right. Vote because it is your privilege to do it safely and in peace. Don't complain about how long it takes. Just vote. Stand in line patiently and think about those who do/have done so amidst bullets, bombs, and threats. Vote.
  2. Pray for Kenya. Please keep this nation in your prayers. As Virginia said, we hope that we will have our Kenya back. We trust in the Lord and we hope we will have our Kenya back.

No comments: