Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Driving Miss Makenzie

At the beginning of this semester, I took a small job. Every Tuesday and Thursday I pick up Makenzie at middle school and drive her to ballet class. Her mom works in Decatur and was having to leave work to transport her daughter. She sent an ad to the seminary looking for a responsible driver to take over at a generous rate. Being the editor of our weekly newsletter, I saw the ad first and well, finders keepers. I went on the ride with mom and Makenzie once, she called some references, and I was hired.

So twice a week now, I drive Miss Makenzie from middle school to ballet. It is quite the posh job as it requires very little of me. Though I suppose some would say that driving in Atlanta at the beginning of rush hour is quite a feat. The whole trip takes about an hour, requires a short stint on I-285, and a quick 4-lane change, but overall it's pretty simple.

Makenzie reminds me of myself at that age. And even sometimes now. She's very quiet and very polite. We've gone the whole semester barely speaking yet I feel like I know her better than in September. I wait for her among the cars full of parents outside the school in a tiny parking lot where getting a space is a bit competitve. Kids begin pouring out of the school and eventually Makenzie appears and makes her way to the car. She climbs in and we exchange the casual hello, how are you? Then we ride into Decatur in silence, listening to the radio...me dodging the crazies, her looking out the window. She's so quiet back there I could easily forget she was in the car, but so far I haven't accidentally brought her home or anything. She is also so softspoken that I probably couldn't hear her answers if I did begin to ask her questions about her day. So we just ride in silence. I don't know what she's thinking, but my thoughts go something like this:

Should I go to the gym before dinner or after dinner? What am I going to have for dinner? I should really finish that chicken, but I think I want a pizza. That lane ends genius. If I go to the gym before then I can be in for the night. What do I need to do tonight? Wrap birthday presents. December birthdays always sneak up on me. I hope my sister likes her present. That's why we have gift receipts I guess. Turn signals would be nice. Is SVU new tonight? I think it is. Ooooo and I think Rudolph is on tonight too. I love Christmas...

Riveting thoughts aren't they? We part ways with a nice goodbye, thank you, and see you next time.

That's my life on Tues and Thurs afternoon...driving Miss Makenzie.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

can i link your blog in mine? i love it. mine, by the way, has a picture of the shoes you gave me. i tried them on, and sadly they're too small for me too, but i love the scarf! whit