Thursday, September 06, 2007

Seminary-isms

The fall semester here at Columbia is officially underway. Today we worshiped together at Convocation and then enjoyed a wonderful luncheon, where a great friend was presented with a well-deserved award. Even as a senior, this week has also brought orientation activities. What could we need to be oriented to at this point you ask? Well, all sorts of seniorish things like the chapel week requirement, work study updates, and the super-fun PC(USA) call process. To the last one I say, wait a minute! I am just swallowing that I am a senior! I just waded through the ordination exams! And you already want me filling out paperwork about where I want to work and what I feel called to do?!?! Ahhhhh!

Taking a deep breath I know it isn't really all that bad and so far, being back has been more of a vacation than anything else. Particularly after the hectic and intense schedule of CPE. It is a bit overwhelming and a lot to consider....but it also brings out an interesting piece of this process. The seminary-isms.

Yes. The acronyms abound in the PC(USA). No pun intended! Here are just a few I have encountered in paperwork or emails in the past 48 hours:
  • CTS - Columbia Theological Seminary: Duh. I thought I'd start you out slow.
  • CPM - Committee on Preparation for Ministry: the lovely committee of folks from my presbytery who have been/are/will guide and support me on this journey.
  • BOP - Board of Pensions: the Presbyterian form of health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield. And someday pension, dental, all those fun other benefits.
  • MCA - Mid-Course Assessment: Unique to Columbia, a supposed to be, halfway through evaluation of each student by a team of professors and peers. I'm on the list of peers who can be asked to sit in having completed my own MCA last year.
  • CSC - Candidate Seeking a Call: A tool Columbia pairs with the PIF (next on the list) to enhance a student's hits on job possibilities.
  • PIF - Personal Information Form: the form I fill out as a Presbyterian candidate for ministry who is seeking a call (job, placement, etc.). Churches use these forms to decide who to consider, who to interview and eventually, who to offer a position.
  • CIF - Church Information Form: the form a Presbyterian church with an open position fills out. I can peruse these as I consider where to go, where to interview, and to whom I will say yes at an offer.

Whew! Pretty sure this is ministry, not military...

And so my senior year, and contemplation about what lies beyond, begins.

Thanks be to God. And God help me.

No comments: