But I was and it was wonderful! I made the trek to Overland Park, Kansas this past weekend for the wedding of my best seminary friend Sara Hayden and her soulmate Chris Henry. I always hear people saying after a wedding, "That was such a beautiful ceremony," but this wedding was one of the few times I have agreed with that sentiment into the depths of my being. As I sat in Sara's home church and witnessed the joining of these two lives, memories of seminary adventures with Sara, too numerous and precious to count, rushed through my mind and I realized just how much I love this dear friend. One of those memories is when Sara and Chris met...and I knew. It was awhile before they dated or became close to serious, but I knew.
The wedding weekend also brought the chance to see other seminary friends and do a bit of catching up. This was a part of the trip I was unsure about beforehand. Still being without a call and fall fast approaching, I was not looking forward to looks or lines of pity that no church has taken me in or feeble attempts at encouragement from people who received their call in a flash. Fortunately what I imagine is most often worse than the reality turns out. There were some pity looks and feeble attempts, but also I received genuine love and support, sometimes from the most unexpected of places. And the laughter was abundant making these days of celebration just what my heart needs to keep going.
With airline costs as they are and unemployment my middle name, I ended up staying in Kansas for a few extra days and making a vacation for myself. I braved the excessive heat warnings with loads of sunscreen and bottled water to tour the area. Sara made wonderful recommendations of must-see Kansas and despite the oppressive heat I had a marvelous time being a tourist. There's something about being anonymous in a crowd for a few days that is renewing to my soul. My adventures included Westport, the Country Club Plaza, downtown Overland Park, and the Deanna Rose Farmstead where I contemplated kidnapping a sheep. (How do I get a sheep on an airplane?) My excitement at being in a new place and the thrill of finding my way around to new places confirmed my readiness to move on to wherever God should call me. Whatever you've heard from Dorothy & Toto...Kansas is a lovely place to be.
1 comment:
Hi Karen - I was reading down your blog and came across this entry in which you were speaking of not receiving your call yet. And then I read the daily Lutheran devotional I get by email. It contained this scripture:
"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."
– Proverbs 16:9
And this message: God will provide for you in time and has something truly amazing in store for you.
I wanted to share this with you even though I know you know it.
Blessings - Lynn from Stone Mountain
Post a Comment