Sunday, July 29, 2007

Never Saw That One Coming

Here are some of my summer adventures that I never saw coming:
  • What are you having? One night on-call, the cafeteria was closed and I was starving, so to Wendy's I went. (Yes, there's a Wendy's in the hospital. Nice.) Riding in the elevator back up to the office, I was joined by a nurse carrying a bag of blood. Just laying there in her hand like a waitress carrying a tray. Me with my Wendy's. Her with her Type ONeg.
  • Unnecessary parts. Over several days, the anti-lock brake warning light in my car started messing with me. With about 90,000 miles on it and far beyond warranty, I feared what this little light staring at me might mean. Car repair not in the budget this summer, you know, since I'm getting paid the lovely $0 an hour. The light went off, so I ignored. Then back on. Back off. Back on. You get the picture. After being inspected and examined, my car was diagnosed with a failed anti-lock brake module and hydraulic system. To replace said parts would cost a mere $2000. Fantastic. Cause $2000 is EVER in my budget. The technician assured me my brakes work like they're new and the car is safe to drive as is. That anti-lock thing is really a perk. Having learned to drive in the winter, complete with the "you slam on the brakes and we'll see what happens on ice & snow covered roads" lesson, in a car that likely had plain old brakes...I replied, Thank you very much. I'll be back for my car with unexciting brakes in an hour.
  • Code Blue in front of Meiling Hall. This is the page I get one Saturday. No idea where meiling hall is and surely on OSU's campus it ought to be easy to find. Right. Driving back for another page, I saw the code team gathered outside. That's where meiling hall is. By the time I parked and walked back, the code was over. There was a firefighter hosing down the sidewalk which I found odd. I went to the other call and was informed by a nurse what had been going on outside. Woman had her baby on the sidewalk. Yep. I believe that would require some hosing down of the premises.
  • Breaking and entering. I get a phone call from my roommate who is on her way to WI with a friend for a long weekend. The friend was in a panic because the person who was supposed to be feeding her dog was stuck in an airport somewhere. My roommate asked if I'd be willing to swing by and feed the poor little guy. Of course! One problem. There's no key. But don't worry, one of the porch windows opens from the outside. I know what you're thinking and yes I did. Through the window in my professional attire to feed a dog I've met once. I'm not sure whether to be relieved or concerned about the safety of the neighborhood that no police appeared.
  • And what size scrubs do you wear Chaplain Fleming? Scrubs? Size? How the heck should I know? Well, I had to make a guess in preparation for this coming Thursday's CPE activity....observing surgery. Pretty sure I'm still in seminary, but who doesn't need something to fall back on. Stay tuned for the outcome of this venture!

And in other news....the CEO of the ginormous OSU Medical Center System is resigning and has accepted a position at Emory. So I might see him around, in the words of my supervisor. Right, because the CEO and I are fast friends as of this summer.

Never a dull moment here in fabulous Columbus.

No comments: