Friday, December 08, 2006

The Redemption of My Shoes

I went to the podatrist yesterday for a foot check-up and am thrilled to say I am now cast free!!! I walked out of the appointment without a cast, now sporting a fun lace-up foot brace. It looks sort of like a corsett for my foot/ankle, but is certainly much more flexible and forgiving than that pesky plaster. I'm still walking gingerly as my leg muscles have been awakened from the dead and my foot is somewhat sore. The brace is also removeable, praise Jesus, which gave me the sincere pleasure of taking it off to take a shower this morning! Done with baths and back to adulthood. I could hear my leg singing the Hallelujah chorus as it soaked up the moisture of the water and breathed sweet relief.

The process of getting the cast off was a little unnerving. A nurse coming at you with a saw will raise the blood pressure slightly. But an ingenious invention it is, designed to cut through the cast without cutting the skin. Then there is the question of what would be found underneath. (Sarah offered her sympathy if my foot should fall off.) Mostly a lot of dry skin, much of which I have since shed making me feel a bit like a snake and necessitating a good vacuuming of my bedroom. (Hope you are not eating right now) I won't be dancing, doing cartwheels, or running anytime soon, but I will continue to lather on the lotion and practice walking again all with a smile on my face because I am wearing two socks and two shoes. Praise be to God for the little things, especially those that come in pairs.

No comments: