When I worked in campus ministry and youth ministry, a favorite game of many group members was Never Have I Ever. The group forms a large circle with one less chair than the number of people. The person without a chair stands in the middle and says "never have I ever..." and fills in the blank with something they have never done. Then in a swirl of excitement, everyone seated in a chair who HAS done what was named, has to get up and find another chair. Chaos unfolds and laughter fills the room as participants fight for chairs. The one left without a chair becomes the next one in the middle. So for example, if the person in the middle says "never have I ever been to Europe," all those who have been to Europe have to find a new seat. One of my standards for when I found myself in the middle was, never have I ever broken a bone. Never can I ever say that again.
I spent this past weekend in the Philadelphia area. I went to speak at Paoli Pres who funded my trip to Kenya, visit with my pastor and his family, spend some time with my sister and niece, and spend an afternoon with my brother, sister-in-law and nephews. All was accomplished with the added joy of breaking my foot. The plan for Sunday afternoon was to have lunch with my brother, hang out for awhile with the fam, pick up cheesesteaks at LaSpada's (home of the BEST Philly Cheesesteaks in the world) and head to my hotel. What actually happened: on the way out of the church that has been so gracious to me, there was a step I didn't see, I rolled my ankle, heard a crack and fell to the ground. I then was sure I had broken my ankle and felt like I was going to throw up, pass out or both in no time. So instead of lunch, I was the proud recipient of my first ambulance ride and about 2 hours in the emergency room. For those who may be concerned, we still went to LaSpada's. Priorities people!
So yesterday, very early in the morning, I made my way back to Atlanta, wheeled through both airports, an aircast on my leg and crutches my newest accessory. At the orders of the ER doctor, I found a podatrist yesterday and am now sporting a royal blue cast for roughly 6 weeks. I have an avulsion fracture (a chipped bone) and the joint between my foot and ankle is cracked. Never a dull moment in the life of this seminarian.
I did have a fabulous weekend despite the whole foot fiasco and I have a new found philosophy for life. Elevators. Always use the elevators. I can get my exercise at the Y. May you have none of my luck and always watch your step!
No comments:
Post a Comment