Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snow on the Beach


Short Sands Beach, York ME

We've had an odd winter here in Maine as can be said in most parts of our country. Very mild. Very dry. Very little of my favorite precipitation. Snow! In the past few days though, it finally came. Light and fluffy, dancing from the heavens to blanket every possible surface outdoors. It quickly occurred to me that I have lived in plenty of places near the beach and one place in particular where snow is frequent and abundant. But never have I lived where the beach and the snow come together to create a unique winter wonderland. I caught this photo at sunset on my way home from work to capture the rare-to-me sight of sand and snow becoming one. A beautiful sight indeed.

1 comment:

Andiamo on the road said...

Karen,
Snow on the beach in Maine; sand on the windshield and palm branches on the roads in Calexico, CA. We are going into the third week of a NOMADS project at Neighborhood House, a 55-year old settlement house ministry in Calexico, CA --- across the border from Mexicali. Roberta has been involved in building a 24x12 shed to house the 18 tricycles and innumerable plastic cartons of outdoor playthings for the Pre-school. I have been on the team to convert a small bathroom to a disable accessible bathroom at a Mission Re-sale shop in El Centro (14 miles north of the border.
The team is four couples; we have worked on other projects together, but not all at the same site. We get along well, and the work will be accomplished by Thursday.
I preached at the local United Methodist Church today --- a bi-lingual service with simultaneous translation of my sermon. I selected James 1:22-23, a text I first used in the summer of 1962 in Laurel, Mississippi. There seems to be a theme emerging here: "50 years ago, I...."

Peace in the snow and sand,
Uncle Bill