I was both pleased and disheartened to receive a recent email from the PC(USA). The message was sent to all who are seeking their first ordained call and stated the reality of how things stand along with some attempts at encouragement.
At last glance...there are 2303 persons seeking relocation in the PC(USA); 426 of these persons are seeking their first ordained call. There are 634 open positions; 190 of these are open to first call seekers. And, when it comes to the category most of the positions I'm interested in fall into, 'Associate Pastor (Other),' there are 61 open positions, with 29 open to first call seekers and 1234 persons after these positions.
You can perhaps see why I am disheartened without explanation. The odds stink. The numbers really are enough to make a person want to quit.
I was pleased, however, to finally have acknowledgement from my denomination of how difficult it is right now to be searching for a call. I have a very hard time explaining to anyone what it is like, especially those outside the process. I also find it hard to find any words that explain in logical, practical terms, why I stay in it. I just have to. Simple and complicated as that, all at once.
So for now the odds stink, but I'm staying in it fully believing I am where God wants me. And there is this one church who is "very interested" in me. God never promised this would be easy, only that I'd never be alone. Prayers and hope go out to the other 2302 pastors who search with me. May they know they are not alone.
1 comment:
Karen,
I admire your commitment. You have the "Smith stubborn-ness". There are in fact more than one faith communities searching for you; they just do not know it!
In the meantime, have you thought about talking with the District Superintendent of the United Methodist District the Edinboro UMC is located in about "pulpit supply", part-time pastoral work, or any other sort of temporary position that would build your resume, meet the needs of afaith community, and give you a context for continuing reflection of your call in to the ministry?
In the meantime, we are moving on down the road. We will complete the Alaska Highway tomorrow. Today we left Eagle, had lunch in Chicken, and are camped in Tok --- who comes up with these place names?
Peace, Bill and Roberta
Post a Comment